Before You Visit

Please check the website for the latest in closures. Contact Kaufman & Kaufman at (970) 945-2396 if you need help navigating the area to your appointment!

Don’t Like Your Doctor? Did You Know You Can Switch?

Colorado Workers Compensation Attorney


I don’t like my doctor. Can I switch? What can I do? 

Can I change my doctor? 

You have a right to request a change of physician in the state of Colorado. In most cases, your employer will give you a list of physicians to choose from. If you suffered an on-the-job injury, your employer must give this list to you immediately upon notice of the injury. If you didn’t receive this form, you may be able to pick your own doctor.  If the form is given, the injured worker can switch to another doctor on the list within the first 90 days.

What if I want to see my own doctor?

According to, “If you choose to seek your own medical care, it may result in nonpayment of medical benefits and you may be responsible for your own medical costs. If your employer does not direct you to a medical provider, you may be able to seek treatment from a medical provider of your choice.”

Is there anything I can do if my workers’ compensation doctor isn’t providing the proper care I need?

If your doctor declares you have reached maximum medical improvement, they’ll notify the insurance carrier. If the insurance carrier agrees with your doctor’s assessment, they’ll file a Final Admission of Liability

Don’t agree with your doctor’s assessment? Do you think you’re in need of further medical care? You’ll have 30 days from the date that’s printed on your Final Admission of Liability after the carrier files the admission to determine if you agree with their determination.

If you don’t agree with this final assessment, you have the right to request a Division Independent Medical Examination (DIME).

Take the First Step: Contact a Colorado Workers’ Compensation Attorney Today to Learn Your Rights!

Heart attack workers’ compensation cases in the state of Colorado can be hard to prove, but with the right attorney on your side you have the best chance to win your case if you want to pursue legal action. 

You should discuss your case with a Colorado workers' compensation attorney at Kaufman & Kaufman, LLC. Our attorneys have experience handling claims involving overexertion and fall injuries while at work and can provide the representation you need.  

We handle cases from many industries and backgrounds and we’re happy to help you! With an expert by your side through the whole process, you can take your mind off the overwhelming legal issues and focus on getting better. Call today and get the support you deserve! 970-945-2396

Hurt at work? Need money?

Get help now!

Contact us anytime, on weekends, or after hours! We'll return your call the next day. Please include a phone number or email address. We will keep your information strictly confidential.

"Kaufman and Kaufman was extremely professional in my case. They set appointments as often as I requested which was often weekly or more. They handled all the problems that came up and ended up settling my case for more than I expected. I was very happy with the result."

- Jeff (2015)

"I’ve known the folks at Kaufman and Kaufman for more than 30 years. Correct - I said 30 years. The Kaufman’s have *always* done the right thing, especially when it’s not easy. Trust, in 2022, is hard. Trusting the Kaufman’s, in 2022, is simple."

- Jeff W. (2022)

"Kaufman and Kaufman represented me in a workman’s comp case and I couldn’t be happier with their service. They were very professional and gave me the personal service I was relying on. I hope I never get in that kind of situation again but if I do the Kaufman’s would be the firm I’d call. I highly recommend them."

- Erik (2022)

"Couldn't have asked for a more compassionate and thorough legal representation! Matt was so patient in taking the time to explain everything. The entire staff was incredible. I felt bolstered and validated throughout. I would recommend K&K to anyone going through a dark time with a debilitating injury.. they truly do care about their clients."

- Jessica C. (2022)

"The Kaufmans are a family owned firm that I highly recommend! They have always acted with integrity and intent to help people as best they can. You can trust them and I have dealt with the Kaufmans for a number of years now."

- JB (2022)

"The Kaufman team is very professional and knowledgeable about the work comp laws . They guided me in every step of the process, and if I ever have to do this again , they would be my first call. Without them i wouldn't have been able to pay my bills, and provide for my family. Thanks again to Kaufman and Kaufman for allowing my family to survive."

- Joshua (2022)